This past year I challenged myself to bake something different every week. One of my experiments was trying out different dairy-free sugar cookie recipes and this one was hands down the favorite! So for anyone who felt like they were missing out on a delicious sugar cookie here is my favorite recipe! And you can use it as a pie crust as well! Half it for pecan pie (unless you want 2 pies ;)) otherwise it is the perfect amount for the pie shell and the lattice topping for a beautiful (and delicious) lattice topped pie.
Here you have it- my favorite (tried and true) sugar cookie recipe:
3/4 cup of cold margarine
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups of flour
- Cream the margarine and sugar for about 3 minutes in a mixer until fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla to mixture and then add the flour.
- Mix until dough is just formed.
- Form the dough in to a ball and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- After refrigerated shape as you wish, roll out the dough on a floured surface and then shape (you can divide it in to 2 and form a pie crust, roll it out flat and place in pie pan- more on that another time!)
- Bake on cookie sheet at 350′ for 10-12 minutes, depending how crispy you like your cookies.
- I drizzled melted bittersweet chocolate on top after the cookies cooled because A. They taste better that way in my opinion and B. It adds dimension to these cookies. I have added glazes in the past but found that the melted chocolate is the best.
Here’s a cookie cutter tip: I am a cookie cutter junkie- always buying different shapes, the best ones are ones that don’t have any intricate “skinny” details, the dough gets stuck in those areas of the cutter.
Thanksgiving is coming!! It is one of my favorite holiday’s, even as an American living abroad we still have a Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings! I make a delicious pecan pie and this crust is perfect for it! One of these days I’ll share my pecan pie filling as well, but for now use this recipe for pie crust and you won’t regret it!